DRYA MEMBER CLUBS
Albatross Yacht Club
DRYA Home PAGE
|MEMBER CLUB WEB SITES|
There are 29 member clubs in the DRYA, extending from Port Huron and Sarnia on Lake Huron to Toledo on Lake Erie. These organizations can provide any number of services...from Junior Sailing Programs to swimming pools, tennis to fitness rooms; one or more of our clubs can fit your sailing needs.
Understandably, some of our member clubs may have a waiting list. If you would like to have more information about specific clubs, feel free to call them, directly, or the DRYA office.
Albatross Yacht Club has been primarily a Sail Racing Club with most of its members sailing out of the Clinton River, but with sailboats scattered all around Lake St Clair. We are an active club that runs and
Co-sponsors several races including:
St ELMOS Night Race
Thames River Race
AYC Annual Jack & Jill Race
Albatross has between 60 and 70 members with a steady stream of new members bringing fresh enthusiasm to our sport. Our organization offers a supportive environment for experienced as well as novice sailors alike.
For more information about our club contact: Commodore Doug
P. O. Box 46023
2006 marks the 91st anniversary of Bayview Yacht Club. From its humble beginnings in 1915 in a little shack on a small bay downriver of its present site, Bayview is recognized as one of the finest sail yacht racing clubs in the nation.
And while yacht racing is our primary focus, our success as a club does not come from racing alone. Bayview Yacht Club was founded by sailors dedicated "to the development... and continuance of that finer class of sportsmanship which seems born largely of the sea and the sea-minded."
Bayview means hosting the N.O.O.D. (national Offshore One-Design) Regatta and the Priem's Regatta. It's a cold November night at the bar with a corporate CEO deep in coversation with a member of very modest means about a Mackinac Race shared ten years ago.
Bayview is a tradition of excellence... in the ability of its offshore racers, the dedication of its administrators and the superb hospitality of its staff.
One design racing has been a strong tradition at Crescent Sail Yacht Club on Lake St. Clair throughout the club's 65-year history. The club's oldest and strongest one design fleets are Thistles, Snipes and Lightnings which compete in club races on Wednesday evenings and Sundays throughout the season. These fleets all have hosted numerous district and/or national class championships.
THISTLE AND LIGHTNING FLEETS
The Lightning North Americans were held at Crescent in l997 and the Internationals in 1954 and 1959. Two-time International champion, the legendary Hank Cawthra, an actively racing octogenarian, can be found in the Lightning fleet annals at Crescent.
OTHER ONE DESIGN CLASSES AT CRESCENT
ICEBOATING AT CSYC
ACTIVE JUNIOR PROGRAM
In accordance with a stipulation in the Joy deed of gift the club has no bar, and alcoholic beverages are dispensed only at post regatta festivities and on other special occasions. A second Joy proviso that the club be operated to provide sailing for "men of moderate means" is observed also (except that club bylaws were changed in 1976 to allow the admission of women to senior membership). Annual dues are modest, and nearly all club maintenance is performed by members on spring and fall work days and as needed throughout the year.
The original club and boat house, built on pilings over the water in l910, was designed by Albert Kahn, architect of many auto plants and major Detroit buildings including General Motors' world headquarters and the Fisher Building. The land at the club was created and enlarged by fill from Detroit expressways and other excavations, and the facilities have been continually improved over the years. An outer sea wall and harbor were added in l986, under Commodore Maynard Rupp, and in l993, to the design of and under the supervision of architect-builder and then Commodore Colt Weatherston, the club house was enlarged to provide a new dining room with adjacent sun deck, first class shower and toilet facilities, boatswain's quarters and a race committee/board meeting room. A 3-ton jib crane capable of accommodating one design keel boats also was installed.
The most recent improvements are the construction in 1996 of a gazebo for socializing by crews from boats moored on the north side of the harbor and the purchase of a new 28-foot Nova Scotia diesel lobster boat to replace Crescent's aging principal race committee boat. The new boat was named EASTERLY in memory of past CSYC commodore Herb Mainwaring whose many contributions to the club spanned 45 years until his untimely death in 1995. EASTERLY was the name of Mainwaring's perennial DRYA and BYC Mackinac competitor and frequent winner.
P.O. Box 564
Sixty-three years after our founding fathers signed the United States Constitution into being, twenty-two years before the Civil War and two years after Michigan became a state, while Abraham Lincoln was still a 30 year old lawyer in Illinois, the Detroit Boat Club was founded. Organized by oarsman on February 18, 1839 it is the oldest continuous rowing club in the world, the oldest boat club in the United States and the oldest social club in Michigan. The club had five club houses at several locations in the Detroit area before it finally built one that was fire proof which opened on Belle Isle on August 4, 1902 where the club remained until the membership sadly agreed that we were no longer able to remain in our home of 106 years on February 23, 1996.
Our current membership is committed to continuing the rich traditions and history of the Detroit Boat Club. The rowers still row under our burgee, and our member boats as well as our Flying Scots regularly compete in DRYA and interclub races. Although we do not, as yet, have a permanent club house, we continue to maintain social functions at various locations while we work toward that end.
We are actively seeking new members that would like to be a part of the renaissance of the Detroit Boat Club. Please contact Acting Commodore Bob Cowles for further information.
The Detroit Yacht Club was founded in 1868 making it one of the oldest yachting clubs in the country. In 1923, the club's present facility was completed on its own island located off the east end of Belle Isle. The Club enjoys a world wide reputation in both power and sailing competitions through the achievements of early members such as Com. Gar Wood, Edsel Ford, Horace Dodge, Com. Harry Kendall, Ernie Grates, Com. Murry Knapp, and Com. "Toot" Gmeiner.
The DYC, under Com. Alex McLeod, was co-founder with the Cleveland Yachting Club of the Inter-Lake Yachting Association in 1885. In 1912, the DYC, under Com. Harry Kendall, was co-founder with the Detroit Boat Club of the Detroit Regional Yacht-racing Association.
The Detroit Yacht Club is a full service, year-around club with a 360 well harbor, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, junior and adult sailing programs, tennis courts, health club, racquetball courts, bowling leagues, golf leagues, catering facilities, and other amenities too numerous to mention.
The Doublehanded Sailing Association was formed in 1987 with the purpose of serving those who enjoy making fast, safe passages, under sail, with minimum crew. It is the intention of the Association to encourage the development of personal skills, suitable equipment, techniques and vessels for the purpose of shorthanded sailing. This is accomplished through personal exchange of information between its members and the various sailing events hosted by the DSA.
The DSA sponsors its premier event, the Huron Doublehanded Challenge, in late June or early July. Both mono-hulled and multi-hulled boats leave from Sarnia, Ontario or Bay City, Michigan within well matched divisions. There is much camaraderie and communication between boats during the long days and nights as two person crews head for the finish line at Rogers City, Michigan.
All who complete the Challenge receive Participation Awards. Terrific flags and awards are presented for finish position and other major achievements at the Monday night Awards dinner. Preparation and participation in the Huron Doublehanded Challenge is a great way for couples to build cruising skills and get their boats to a great jumping off point for North Channel cruising.
Other double handed events held by the DSA are the Spring Regatta and the fall Lake St. Clair Doublehanded Championship. The double handed starts in the DRYA point- to- point regattas are attributed to the DSA's intent to establish competitive racing venues for skippers who want or need to eliminate the complexities of organizing, caring and feeding of full crews.
The Doublehanded Sailing Association and the Great Lakes Singlehanded Society co-host a Spring Safety Seminar with guest speakers and exhibitors. In the past we have had speakers such as Robin Davies (BOC world race participant) and Dr. Tony Hammer (Royal Navy expert on hypothermia). We have had exhibitors such as Image Yachts, The Yachtsman, Thomas Hardware and West Marine.
The DSA is focused on participation, fun and learning so it may just be the perfect companion organization to your yacht club membership or your first entry into sailing organizations. For information you may contact:
The Grosse Pointe Sail Club was founded in 1948 when the city of Grosse Pointe Park invited a dozen sailing enthusiasts to establish a club at the City's Windmill Pointe Park on Lake St. Clair. The Park is located right at the head of the Detroit River and the main pier offers spectators a wonderful view of the sail boat races sponsored by the GPSC.
The Club's Tuesday Evening Sundown Series is the longest running open racing competition on Lake St. Clair and draws over 100 boats every Tuesday night during the summer. The GPSC also sponsors an annual Regatta on the Saturday just before the renowned Mackinac Races, and a Fall Series in September and October.
In addition to the racing activities, the Club organizes many social events throughout the entire year, including theme, Parties a winter ski rendezvous, cruises, dances, and children's activities. While the GPSC does not own a clubhouse, it leases space from the City of Grosse Pointe Park at the Tompkins Community Center in Windmill Pointe Park, and uses the Community Center as a base of operations for most activities.
The Club Credo is to encourage and promote sailing, boating, racing, safe navigation and good seamanship; to foster good sportsmanship and competition in sailboat racing; and to camaraderie and fraternity among persons interested in sailing and boating.
Anyone interested in membership, whether they own a sailboat, powerboat, or no boat at all, should go to the GPSC Web Site (see link above) for more information.
Founded in 1969, Lake Shore Sail Club remains a family oriented club dedicated to providing extensive opportunities for competitive racing, active cruising, and other social activities for its 100 member families. Meetings are held at the Harper Woods Community Center and the club maintains a gin pole for its members' exclusive use.
The regatta program includes ten Sunday and Special Club races and the very popular Spring and Summer Sunset Series attracting over 100 of the area's avid racing boats. In October LSSC hosts a DRYA regatta, "The Inter-Club Team Championship Race". The cruise program consists of at least three summer cruises to area ports over the major holiday weekends featuring group breakfasts, cocktail parties and barbecues. Off season activities include a fall steak roast (sponsored by the past commodores), several weekend activities and the formal event of the year, the Commodore's Ball.
P.O. Box 717
Afterwards, our DJ provides music for dancing. Others may choose to visit around the (cash) bar, where boating contacts may be made.
There is a one time initiation fee of $10.00. Annual dues are $45.00, payable between April 1 and June 1 - Persons joining later will pay prorated dues.
A membership roster is mailed each year. This is a valuable source of skippers and crew. A monthly newsletter with current and future events is available to members and guests. The Hotline and Internet Web Page http://www.graynwhite.com/ss also keeps members up to date on current activities.
Members pay a nominal fee for meetings and activities. Guests are welcome, but pay slightly more than members.
Sailing Singles is governed by a nine-member board, elected yearly by the membership and aided by a number of active committees.
These skippers welcome club members as crew on their vessels and appreciate help in preparing their boats for launch and winter storage. Both experienced and inexperienced sailors are welcomed.
The membership roster lists boat owners who may be contacted when you wish to join them on the water. A skipper list is published in a spring issue of The Anchor Line newsletter.
Learn to Sail:
Social events have included parties for Super Bowl, Valentines's Day, Halloween and Festival of Lights. A Chili Cook-off has been a highly competitive event. We have gorged on lobster and ethnic food, enjoyed champagne brunches and picnics.
Sailing Singles members are physically active. There have been canoe trips, white-water rafting, tennis matches and whirlyball. Some members have organized bare-boating in the Virgin Islands, Bahamas, Greek Islands and Sea of Cortez. Each summer skippers take quite a few lucky members to the North Channel and Georgian Bay.
If these activities and the camaraderie of boating appeal to you, if you have a boat to share or just enjoy the water, come to one of our meetings. Or call the Hotline for a calendar of events. We promise you sunny skies, fair winds, memorable moments and many new friendships!
210 Brighton Rd.
A group of men and women sailors who enjoyed racing among themselves wanted to compete against other clubs using the "CK" catboats, but found they were ineligible to do so. They consulted a well-known yachtsman, Harry Kendall, who suggested they form a yacht club of their own.
This was done by an initial group of 24 sailors in 1945, and at their second meeting, Thomas Blakey was elected Commodore, John Theurkorn, Vice Commodore, and Alfred Schultz, Rear Commodore. The club was originally named the "St. Clair Yachtsmen".
The new yacht club was shortly accepted as a member of the Inter-Lake Yachting Association ( I-LYA), following in the spring of 1946 with membership in the Detroit River Yachting Association (DRYA). The club was formally incorporated as the "St. Clair Yachtsmen, Inc.", in April of that year.
Cat-rigged "CK" sail boats were leased from the St. Clair Sail Club, a commercial club operated by Paul Hendrickson on Detroit’s near east side. The St. Clair Yachtsmen also held their meetings there. Club members sailed primarily in team races against Detroit Yacht Club, Detroit Boat Club and Edison Boat Club, all which had club owned fleets.
The first season, the St.Clair Yachtsmen team was last in standings, but Maury DeClercq represented us in the individual river championship – and won it. He went on to gain fame in many of the Port Huron – Mackinaw races over the years, becoming one of the "old Dogs". In their second year the St. Clair Yachtsmen’s team won over-all season championship.
Paul Hendrickson was forced to move his sail club in 1952, because the city was taking over his land to redirect the outlet of Fox Creek. The St. Clair Yachtsmen purchased four of his boats, and moved their operations to Kean’s Detroit Yacht Harbor. From the fall of 1952 to the spring of 1954, the club without a home, and accommodations for meetings rented at the Whittier Hotel.
The club arranged a deal with Kean’s under which several club members designed and built a second floor addition to an existing building in Kean’s Marina at the foot of Meadowbrook Street. Later the club become generally known as the St. Clair Yacht Club, and this name was officially adopted in 1959.
SCYC added the "St. Clair Room" to its facilities at Kean’s in 1959, again designing and assisting in the building of a dining room and kitchen on the second floor of the building, continuing the friendly partnership with the marina which SCYC enjoyed.
Since the early 1960’s, SCYC has sponsored the highly regarded Commodore’s Invitational. Held every January, this event allows new flag officers and Past Commodores from all the DRYA clubs to get to know each other on an informal basis.
St. Clair Yacht Club is now known primarily as a power boat club, and sponsors cruiser navigation contests (predicted log races) under the sanction of the North American Cruiser Association (NACA) and Western Lake Erie Cruiser Association (WLECA), with SCYC members competing against members of yacht clubs and other sanctioned bodies such as the United States Power Squadrons. SCYC members have built an outstanding record in this competition, including one national championship, several national second and third places, and many regional championships.
The 1986 National Predicted Log Championships were sponsored by, and were held at, SCYC.
Sail activities picked up momentum in the late ‘70’s, with introduction of the Thomas Blakely Memorial race, a two day sailing event to the Thames River (Ont.) and back. In 1981, SCYC introduced the annual "Blue Nose Turkey Race," held the third week of November, and in 1982 we began the "Early Bird Race" in early April, giving the club the distinction then of having both the first and last races of the yachting season.
Due to a combination of increasing rent and changes in the state liquor insurance and general liability laws, SCYC faced the real possibility of either going bankrupt or closing down altogether in 1986.
A decision was made to dissolve our long standing relationship with Kean’s. St. Clair Yacht Club entered 1987 as a "homeless" club, but was far from being washed up. We went through a period of sharp decline in membership and emerged as a stronger, healthier club which today puts its emphasis on the real reason for being a yacht club—boating activities, racing, cruising, and attending rendezvous and social activities where members and guests enjoy the fraternal fellowship of SCYC members, guests, and members of other yacht clubs.
After several years of meeting in borrowed and rented facilities, a promising relationship with the Porterfield Wilson and John Carlo companies was developed over several years of intense negotiations, which led to SCYC again having a clubhouse.
SCYC moved into a 1,380 square foot facility in the marina’s office building on September 1st, 1991. With a magnificent view of the marina and river it boasted a full service bar and facilities for entertaining up to 150 people.
What began as a very friendly relationship soon soured, with marina management refusing to grant more than a one year lease at any time. Much of the time SCYC was operating on a month-to-month verbal extension of an expired contract.
While there for only six years, advances were made which would help the club grow and prosper. Our membership grew and became much more diverse, more nearly reflecting the multi-ethnic population of the Detroit metropolitan area.
Discussions with Kean’s Marina led to the offer of a long term lease, renewable for a longer term, and the Board of SCYC decided that it would be in the best interest of SCYC to move back to our original home. In the summer of 1997, SCYC leased what amounts to its original home, in the second floor of the marina store building (which its members built in the ‘50’s.!).
Following much renovation and rebuilding, and the addition of a completely new bar unit, the "new" SCYC clubroom is again welcoming members and guests to enjoy fellowship and comfort of an old-line yacht club which enjoys wide-spread recognition.
SCYC is entering the "21" Century as a strong and growing club, and is determined to live up to our well deserved reputation as the "friendliest club on the river."
TRYC is a small club of about 60 members located at the mouth of the Thames River, a 10 minute drive from HWY 401 at Tilbury.
The club has good docking in a well-protected basin and an active program of racing, cruising and social events. Races are held every Thursday evening and a few on Sundays. Although there is no clubhouse with bar and dining room, there are two good fully-licensed restaurants within an easy walk. Washroom faciities and dock water and electricity are provided. The facilities are leased so there is a minimum of work required by members, giving them more time to sail.
TYC, founded in 1885, offers a sheltered deep water port at the mouth of the Maumee River and Lake Erie.
Known for its spectacular Commodore's Ball and hosting the prestigious Mills Race, family activities such as the Pig Roast, Easter Egg Hunt and Brunch with Santa are unforgettable.
There is plenty of lawn to enjoy, tennis, volleyball, swimming pool and children's playground are extensive.
TYC's stately club house continues her legacy with two formal dining rooms, meeting rooms, complete banquet service, ballroom, and casual dining in the Den Bar. TYC maintains a full-time manager, chef, office, dining, yard and dock master staff.
Full, Social, Junior, Non-resident and Gold Key Corporate memberships are available.
Situated on the south shore of the Detroit River, just off Lake St. Clair, the Windsor Yacht Club enjoys a uniquely convenient location augmented by its scenic view of wooded Peche Island. Commercial establishments are relatively close-by.
Established in 1937, we like to refer to ourselves as "The Best Little Yacht Club on the Great Lakes". We are proud of our conviviality, hospitality and warm welcome to our guests.
Guests from DRYA affiliated Clubs are welcome; guest wells (with hydro/water), washrooms with showers, Club facilities and Dining Room are available. Reservations and information are available (519) 948-1863. We look forward to hosting you.
DRYA Home PAGE | Back to About the DRYA
Send Email to The DRYA
If you would like more information about Detroit Regional Yacht-Racing Association, please contact Jane Rupp, DRYA Office Manager.
If you have any comments, or questions about this page, please
send feedback to David Arnold.
Return to the top of this page.
Copyright © DRYA 2008